Fun Stuff > Overseas Travel

Overseas Travel

Are you planning travel beyond the U.S. or Canada?  Your child may need vaccinations, or medicine to prevent malaria.

The best information about "Travel Medicine" can be obtained by checking the CDC's website:


Generally, travel to Western Europe, U. S. Protectorates, and Japan require no shots.  Even if travelling to a Third World country, no extra immunizations are required for children under 2 years old if they have been fully immunized according to our American schedule.  But older kids may need shots.

You can get most of the harder-to-obtain travel vaccines from this Rite-Aid store:
Rite Aid # 11179
399 New London Road
Newark, DE 19711
(302) 731-4400
(They do not stock Yellow Fever vaccine, but it is rarely necessary.)

For a consultation to obtain all needed shots for travel, including Yellow Fever if needed, you may contact either of these clinics:

Nemishh Mehta, MD
Bear Internal Medicine and Pediatrics, PA
1400 Peoples Plaza, Suite 201
Newark, DE 19702
(302) 392-2200

"Passport Health"

240 N James St, Suite 206
Newport, DE 19804
(302) 633-5782
No referral is required.  Please note that visits for "Travel Medicine" may not be covered by your medical insurance, and it is expensive.

Malaria prophylaxis:

Check the CDC's web site for the most up-to-date recommendations and reports about malaria risk.  If malaria is a risk, prophylaxis may be recommended.

Malarone is usually the first choice.  It is given once a day, starting 2 days before arriving in the epidemic area, and continued once daily until 7 days after your return to the U.S.

Mefloquine (Lariam) may also be used, although some drug-resistant strains of malaria have been reported.  It is given once a week, usually in the evening to prevent GI side effects.  The first dose is given 1 week before arriving in the epidemic area, and continued once a week until 4 weeks after your return to the U.S.